Naasya's Oven... for all your birthday, hen's night, baby showers, wedding and anniversary cakes. 08058845454

Thursday, August 11, 2011

EXCLUSIVE: LYDIA IDAKULA SOBOGUN - Celebrating A Whooping One Hundred Editions of TARUWA...


TARUWA has become a household name in Lagos for spoken word artistes, musicians, poets, lyricists and the overall Art Lover looking to unwind amidst creativity. Started by Gbagyichild Entertainment CEO Lydia Idakula Sobogun, TARUWA has been called home to the stars - MI, Omawumi, Snatcha of Rooftop MCs, Tosyn Bucknor, Sistasoul, Cobhams and Home groomed Alternative artiste Bez Idakula; amongst others. The magazine program which started out as a forthnite event evolved into a quarterly published magazine with a theme to put art onto paper for the many TARUWA lovers. In this exclusive interview, Messus Sobogun talks about her passion, the dream, the challenges, prospects and the grand 100th edition coming up on August 30, Twenty Eleven.
Miss Hemba: TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF
LYD: Kai! I don't like talking about myself jo! You have to ask me specific questions! I grew up in Jos, Corona primary School Jos, Baptist High School Jos, UJ, Lagos Law school! Wetin again? We're four, Eunice, Lydia, Bez, Anyidakula. My very proud mom lives in Keffi, my dad died in Nov of 97.
I'm married to a wonderful and amazing man with an overactive 2 year old daughter! Loool! I Love God, I love my family, and I love the arts.

Miss Hemba: TARUWA IS CELEBRATING ITS 100’TH EDITION, HOW DO YOU FEEL AS THE INITIATOR?
LYD: I'm feeling really overwhelmed right now, coz the journey has not been an easy one. Though it's been very fulfilling; On our first Taruwa, we were seven people. Today... Well today. Hmmn!

Miss Hemba: WHAT WAS YOUR PRIMARY AIM OF STARTING TARUWA?
LYD: We just wanted people to have a forum where they could enjoy arts, stripped down, no pretense, just real; with a crowd of art lovers. I needed Taruwa too, more than anything. It became like therapy for me. Lol! I lived for Taruwa Tuesdays!

Miss Hemba: DO YOU THINK YOU FILLED A CERTAIN VOID WITH TARUWA AS AN EVENT?
LYD: Well I think it still fills a void. Taruwa is one of the only events where you can just come up and express yourself. When we started, you could just walk up to the organiser or host and put your name on the list to perform no matter who you are but because the list gets very full very quickly now, people need to get their names on the list earlier than the Taruwa day. There are some of those kind of events now. Some inspired by Taruwa, some not. But I'm glad for them, because there are soooo many talented people out there and not enough stages for them.

Miss Hemba: WOULD YOU SAY IT HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL?
LYD: I would say that Taruwa has been a huge success, and success for me is not in the numbers, but in the lives which are continually affected by Taruwa's existence, and the number of people who you know now, because you once heard them at Taruwa. I hear people saying they want to break out and someone adviced them to "go perform at Taruwa" that makes me feel good. That we can contribute to someone's success is awesome.

Miss Hemba: WHAT WOULD YOU ATTRIBUTE TO ITS SUCCESS – WHAT WOULD YOU SAY IS THE KEY SUCCESS FACTOR
LYD: It's been successful First I think because it wasn't started with financial gain in mind. It's been free for the past four years. We had one paid one, Christmas of 2007 to raise funds but it's been free really. Another reason I think it's successful, is because we are genuinely passionate about the arts, and passionate for artistes who are starting up. So we give you the promotion you'd ordinarily pay through your nose for... I think also because we don't do "stars" at Taruwa. Anybody who comes, celebrity or not, drops whatever cloak at the door and becomes a true art lover and a friend. Taruwa is a place for genuine people and art lovers. No pretences, no chips, and no horses- high or otherwise! Everyone who performs, wether you've performed on a stage before or not, will be applauded if you're good, and helped off the stage (nicely) Looool! If you're bad! Taruwa has become a family, you have Taruwa lovers who will NEVER miss Taruwa, and who will never say no when called upon to host or perform or something. That makes me feel truly awesome and very special.

Miss Hemba: HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE THE BUILD TO THIS 100’TH EVENT, THE PEOPLE, THE PLACES, THE EVENT ITSELF?
LYD: It will be business as usual o! Every Taruwa is a special one so you won't be hearing huge names just to get people to come. We will have some special artistes and friends (and brothers- wink) in the house of course, but Taruwa lovers are honestly not motivated by big names. They just love arts so they come out. We will however be selling tickets for Two Thousand Naira only (2k) just to raise funds to sustain, and to be able to invest in other projects. We have decided that we will have a paid event for every anniversary from now on, to raise funds.

Snatcha (RoofTopMCs) a taruwa lover and regular will be hosting, and my brother “BEZ” will be performing... Duhhh!!

Miss Hemba: WOULD YOU SAY TARUWA HAS CONTRIBUTED TO THE ENTERTAINMENT INDUSTRY?
LYD: Of course!! Definitely!! (Ka ji mun tambaya!?)*** Coz I can count a lot of big names who Taruwa has been a part of their process... And because we've helped hone skills. Stage skills, performance skills...

Miss Hemba: WAS THERE A POINT IN THE COURSE OF TIME THAT YOU FELT THE NEED TO GIVE UP?
LYD: Lemme put it this way. There were mornings when I didn't want to get out of bed. But it has never once crossed my mind to quit!

Miss Hemba: WHY DID YOU PRESS ON?
LYD: There's no other option, I've burnt my bridges. I'm doing what I love. What God has called me to do! It has to work! *Burst into song here* aaaand iiii aaaam telling you, I'm not going... And you, you, you- you're gonna loooove meeeeeee!

Miss Hemba: WHAT MAKES YOU PROUDEST WHEN YOU THINK OF “TARUWA”
LYD: The friends I've made, the family I've gained, and the people whose lives have been touched positively by Taruwa. Bez makes me really really really proud too! I'm almost in tears whenever I watch him perform!

Miss Hemba: LET’S GET A BIT PERSONAL; ARE YOU SINGLE? AND IF THERE’S A MAN, TELL US IF YOU MET HIM VIA TARUWA *wink wink*
LYD: Lol! Amebo olofofo! I'm married, and I have Jos (waaaay before Taruwa) to thank for that!
                                                                      
Miss Hemba: HOW HAVE YOU JOGGLED TARUWA WITH FAMILY?
LYD: I have a verrrry supportive family! I wouldn't be able to do it if I didn't. My husband's an amazing support system (all by himself) and my mom has taken care of my two year old whenever I've had to be in Lagos. I owe whatever success to the Love, help and understanding of my entire family.
                                 
Miss Hemba: WHAT IS THE GREATEST LESSON YOU CAN PASS ON, RUNNING YOUR OWN BUSINESS?
LYD: Seek first the kingdom of God and ALL other things shall be added unto you!
Passion, Passion Passion!!
Believe in yourself and what you carry (what God has placed in you)
Keep your overheads as low as possible!
                          
Miss Hemba: ANY PROSPECTS FOR THE FUTURE; DOES IT STOP WITH TARUWA?
LYD: Soooo much to do!! We've been recording and compiling Taruwa to make into an unplugged TV program. That's one of the things we've had in mind for a while now. We've been in talks with several TV houses. We'll be going on air soon by God's grace! Taruwa's parent company Gbagyichild Entertainment is also looking into other projects. We've just concluded a photography exhibition in Abuja which was very successful, and we're also working on the next issue of the Taruwa Magazine which is due out in October.

The mind is always working, thinking and churning, so rest assured that there will be stuff going on for a long time to come!

Miss Hemba: #CONGRATS AND HAPPY ANNIVERSARY
LYD: Thanks Sweets!
 
 
 
***What a question
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment