Naasya's Oven... for all your birthday, hen's night, baby showers, wedding and anniversary cakes. 08058845454

Monday, July 04, 2011

SHAM PAIN: Solution to Piracy and 'I really don't get caught up too much on industry politics'.

Sham Pain is a Nigerian artiste, who spent his growing up days in the United Kingdom but has kept a strong connection with every thing that relates to his homeland, Nigeria. Moving from Europe to The States has not flinched his passion or love for the motherland, The budding artiste of over two decades is particularly excited about the progress with the Nigerian music industry. His choice genre of music is crunk, unusual to the average music listener but he has been building a steady fanbase and set for another run as he recently released new single 'Hatin' on my Swagg' on Nigerian radio featuring Nigerian Breweries PLC sponsored TV talent show, Star Quest mentoring producer, Joey Plus (Joey Plus mentored the winning band, B.E.A.T at this year's Star Quest). He is taking a cue from 'Returnees' like Banky W, Sauce Kid, Ice Berg Slim and even JJC, who have all realized a need to keep in touch with the indigenous Nigerian music industry.  The record titled 'Hatin on my swag' feature is at most a crunk record and in the typical crunk , Sham Pain waters down his lyrics to concentrate on talk of his present goodlife after he experienced homelessness and lived on the streets for nearly 2 years.

The UK born and bred artiste also known as Prince of Ibadan has titled the album '4D Swagg' with 'Hatin on my Swagg' as the lead single. On the track, the focal point for Sham Pain is more often the beats and music than the lyrics therein. He uses a drum machine rhythm, heavy bassline, and shouting vocals, often in call and response manner, typical of crunk music which gained mainstream success in 2003. In this interview, the artiste, producer and record executive reintroduces himself, Read excerpt:

Can you introduce yourself? Who is Sham Pain?
Sham Pain is just a normal down to earth regular guy. I keep myself very grounded by doing very regular everyday things. Many fans are surprised at how down to earth I am when they meet me in person as they already have a preconceived impression of me from my songs, photos, videos etc... and are pleasantly surprised at how approachable I am.

You have a pretty interesting name, break down the meaning of your alias.
I was given the name Sham Pain when I first entered USA from the UK in 1999. It was given to me by my peers on the street. I am a very peaceful man but when angered can be very volatile. I do not drink alcohol but friends saw it funny that if I had issues with others after being harassed I would buy a Champagne bottle from the bar and normally crack this open on the perpetrators head. I unfortunately had to do this on numerous occasions living and clubbing in the USA where wearing diamonds, driving nice cars and being with fine women gave me a lot of jealous hate amongst some sectors of society so I guess I just had to defend myself how I saw fit!.. Shameful because I do not like to respond like this but painful when you receive a bottle in the centre of your forehead because of your foolishness... Sham Pain baby!

What is the title of your most successful record?
Well because I have an international presence I have many different successful records in different countries for example in Nigeria my most successful records are "Naija Hustle" followed closely by "African Butt" these 2 songs were played a lot on Nigerian radio and on Nigerian music TV. In USA & Europe it is "Sexy Black Chocolate", "Thick Chickz", "U B Hatin" & "Freak Like U".

How would you describe your musical style? Is it crunk? why?
No one music can define me. I am blessed to be able to move between different musical styles since I listen to all types of music such as Fela, Smashing Pumpkins, Mozart, David Guetta, Snoop Dogg, R. Kelly, Bounty Killer to Vybz Kartel and way beyond! On my new album it is evident that my musical style is vast and I am able to write in these different musical styles also.

Let's talk about your influence.
My first influential recollection was Fela "Zombie". When I heard that all I wanted to do was recite and dance exactly the same way the great Fela did. I think back then there was no name for someone like this but he was really the 'king of swagg' nothing surpassed his musical abilities or stage presence. My Parents when I was younger took me to see 'Ipi N'tombi' dance troop in concert and it really gave me a sense of being African and feeling proud of my roots. Of current my influences are Dagrin (RIP), 2face, M.I, Sauce Kid, Banky W, 9ice, Dbanj, R.Kelly, Teddy Riley, Guy, DMX, Rick Ross and many more. Before I am a musician I am first a fan of music and support other artists 100%.

Let's us in on the record company, gRock Records Intl.
I created gRock Records Intl. as the deals being offered to me were not good for me at that time, something was always wrong in the contract so I set up my own record label in 2003 and have been independent ever since. If the right deal came along I am ready to sit down at the table and move forward but know this... before I am a musician I am a business man so the deal has to be right not just for today but for the future.

You have released 4 albums, let's talk about that.
Yes I have released 4 albums (Pimp Of The Century -2004, 7 Figga Pimpin-2007, Recession Proof-2008 and Recession Proof II-2010). I only prayed to God to bless me with doing one album and I never imagined he would give me the opportunity and strength to complete 5 albums all independently with no major record label behind me. All 4 albums take you on a journey of my life at the time each song was recorded and I am known for writing from my heart and delivering the passion on every track.

Your fifth album is titled '4D Swagg (The Movie)', another interesting name! what inspired it?
Yes '4D Swagg (The Movie)' will give an in depth look into my life, my circumstances and what I see around me everyday. My lyrics are very heart felt, so much listening will need to done on this album (not just dance to my beats lol). To really understand where I am coming from, where I have been and where I am going all songs need to appreciated in the context they were written. I titled the album '4D Swagg (The Movie)' so it is clear what Sham Pain gives his fans on a daily basis, I am just being me but my fans have labelled me the 'Gbaski Swagg Master' lol! So in actuality my fans have helped me create the name of the album and through their comments and support have moulded the movie concept of my life.

What should fans expect when they get '4D Swagg (The Movie)'?
Be prepared to to be taken on a musical journey through the eyes of Sham Pain. I have many different musical styles on the album (Hip Hop, Dancehall, House & R&B) and sets the premise for what direction I want to go in the future. Every song on the album is a standout single and I wrote every track from the heart not holding anything back. I really practiced my vocals and have really tried to progress sonically so my fans can see a major growth from album to album and let them see everything I do is for them. There are songs for everyone and all songs are relatable and make sense.

 
 The Industry:
I really don't get caught up too much on industry politics and just do what I need to do to continue pushing out good music to my loyal fans who have supported me since day one. I think many artists get caught up doing the wrong things and waste a lot of time doing nothing then cannot understand why their fans desert them. I work for my fans they are my employers I must do what they like and offer them good work to make our relationship work. I have previously been offered several major recording contracts but have not signed as the deal was not good for me in the long run but as said previously if the right deal came along I would love to do a joint partnership with another record label whether it be in Nigeria or USA.

Let's talk the Nigerian music industry, how in touch have you been with the indigenous music industry?

I love what Nigeria represents musically and all the rightful attention it is now getting worldwide. We have not seen even the start of this Nigerian music industry and Nigerian artists can be even bigger and become household names internationally in the homes of Becky, Teresa and Sharon! What is stifling the Nigerian music industry currently is the piracy, once this can be fixed it is the answer to all artists success and putting out better music and videos. If the artists cannot be paid they cannot pay for the equipment or studio let alone videos so something really needs to be done about this.

Hats off to Dbanj and 2face for exploding on the USA market with their current 2011 BET Award. There is so much natural talent in Nigeria it is an industry unto itself much like the USA and all it needs now is major marketing internationally not just to our own people abroad but on all different platforms.

Which Nigerian artiste are you listening to at present?

Well personally I have always loved the musical styles of 9ice, Terry G, D'banj, ID Cabassa, M.I, Asa, 2face, Wande Coal, YQ, Side One, Ill Bliss in fact too many to mention or we need another 10 pages to continue my list lol! I must listen to 'OMO Naija' by Jamix, Terry G, 9ice & M.I at least 4 times per week or if not I fall sick!

Piracy is a big issue here in Nigeria, being an artiste that has seen how it is done in the UK, how do you think we can beat piracy in Nigeria?

The only real deterrent for piracy is prison time and the government has to hand down very harsh sentences to abusers. The government doesn't get it right now. The more artists get revenue the more taxes they will pay and the more money the government will earn everybody wins BUT, BUT, BUT this leads to another point of corruption because if it is this easy and nothing is being done substantial it then means to me "personally" another 'force' is also sharing big profits with the pirates (so the blind eye is turned but the hands are being oiled)!
 
 
 
Audio download for SHam Pain ft. Joey Plus - Hatin' on my swag - link: http://www.4shared.com/audio/c6I8OCFa/Sham_Pain_ft_Joey_Plus_-_Hatin.html

No comments:

Post a Comment